*Review best according to redakciey. About the selection criteria. This material is subjective in nature, is not an advertisement, and does not serve as a guide to purchase. Before buying, you need to consult with a specialist.
Cabin filters are elements of the air conditioning system that purify the running air from harmful impurities. In today’s ecological environment, such filters are an integral attribute of the car, as they help to create a comfortable air environment in the cabin, protecting the health of the driver and passengers from the effects of toxins.
Until recently, the hype around cabin filters was not so great, and no more than 20 companies around the world were engaged in their manufacture. Today, their number has grown by about 5 times, but not everyone can meet the quality standards. In this regard, the magazine’s team has prepared a rating of the best manufacturers of cabin filters, based on reviews from consumers and a range of full-time experts. The main evaluation criteria were:
- cost of a line of anti-dust and carbon filters;
- extensive range of the brand’s products;
- average service life of products.
How to choose a cabin filter
Choosing a cabin filter for a car is a very complex process that does not have guidelines for standard indicators. Due to the specific nature of the products, it is very difficult to identify key characteristics, but the editors managed to collect 9 very important recommendations for you.
- When choosing a cabin filter, be sure to start fromcatalog number of the original product.However, it is advisable to purchase not the originals, but analogues from well-known manufacturers. This choice will not only allow you to save money (about 50-75%), but also provide no less high-quality air purification for a long time.
- Make sure that the filter you purchased is correct.correctly installed in the seat. Pay attention to the density of its fastening and the absence of strong curvature of the fabric plates. Give preference to models that have body reinforcement elements in the form of glued corners or plastic (rubber) frames.
- The filter material must havespecial processing. The part that is placed on the fan side is usually subjected to surface lamination. This is necessary in order to avoid getting lint into the ventilation, otherwise they can cause both contamination of the running air (and, moreover, a powerful allergen), and reduce the performance of the entire air conditioning system.
- Large box– not always a sign of forgery. Many manufacturers intentionally increase the size of packaging boxes to reduce the likelihood of damage to cabin filters during transportation and storage. However, many users mistakenly perceive this precaution as a fact of falsification.
- Markingthe direction of the air flow is a very convenient thing. It allows you to avoid the hassle of installing the filter incorrectly. Therefore, we advise you to give preference to those products that have the designations “Top” and”Bottom”.
- Availability of activated carbon– this is more than a simple sales pitch. Everyone knows firsthand about the benefits of activated carbon in absorbing certain gases, including nitrogen dioxide and hydrocarbon compounds. So if maintaining your health is not an empty word for you, and you are ready to spend a little more money, then we strongly recommend purchasing carbon filters.
- The mass of a carbon filter– a very important characteristic. In General, the higher its mass, the more activated carbon is contained in the fabric plates.
- When buying a carbon filter, be sure tomake sure that the package is intact. The fact is that the presence of through holes in a paper box or polyethylene can provoke the “exhalation” of a certain portion of activated carbon due to the creation of an air flow. Hence the obviously lower working life, and possible mechanical damage.
- Highly recommendedwe do not recommend measuring the filter life in kilometers.– this approach does not work with these products. The characteristics of their durability are influenced by a lot of indicators, such as the gas and dust content of the locations you have to move around, as well as the operating modes of the air conditioner. According to this logic, the most optimal measure of resource is the period of operation, and, according to personal experience, let’s say: the average resource of any filter (simple or carbon) will vary from 9 to 12 months.
Which cabin filter should I choose: carbon or regular?
The type of filter
Conventional (anti-dust) filter
+ Low purchase price
+ Cleans the air from spores, bacteria and pollen – hypoallergenic
+ Serves as a barrier to large and small debris
+ Allows you to use the air conditioning fan when driving through a tunnel or when the car is idle in traffic
+ Prevents fogging of Windows
– Does not block odors
– Does not detain air toxins
+ Effectively eliminates foreign odors and neutralizes volatile toxins
+ Promotes the conversion of ozone into oxygen
+ Provides fine air purification from harmful substances almost in full (95-99%).%)
+ Similar to a conventional filter, it prevents fogging of Windows and allows you to use air conditioning in idle situations and when driving on “closed” road sections
Rating of the best cabin filter manufacturers
|Rating of the best cabin filter manufacturers||1||Mann||5.0|
Czech cabin filter from Mann – the best that is in the segment at the moment. The company has always been known for its very high-quality production of elements for cleaning technical liquids and air, so our verdict should not be a revelation. The perfect combination of performance and price, the low level of marriage and prevalence in the market. However, let’s move on to the numbers.
The average dust transmission rate on a typical Mann filter is 5.9% – only 0.1% lower than that of the Russian-Chinese RAF. The area of the cleaning curtain is 0.206 square meters, and the aerodynamic drag varies from 30 to 137 millimeters of water column as the resource is developed. Thus, we have a very accurate analog of the mentioned element from the RAF…but at 2 times less price. Unambiguous first place.
- best value for money;
- one of the lowest rates of dust passage is 5.9%;
- good aerodynamic resistance throughout the entire period of operation;
- low level of manufacturing defects;
- prevalence in Russia.
- not detected.
RAF Filter is the very case when the collaboration of Russian and Chinese manufacturers was able to impose serious competition on the world’s strongest brands. Their cabin filters can not be called budget: 950 rubles on average and the second most expensive indicator after DENSO. There are two reasons for this:
First, manufacturers have introduced as many as 3 layers in the filter: antibacterial (also known as antifungal), carbon and anti-allergenic, blocking various pathogens. It is no wonder that according to the test results, the dust pass through this filter turned out to be the smallest: only 5.8%!
Secondly, the average area of the filter curtain (0.203 square meters) did not become a problem for good aerodynamic drag. In the contaminated form, the resistance value in the filter reached up to 139 millimeters of water column, which indicates a good delay of contamination by existing layers.
Abstracting from the high price, let’s say: RAF is a brand worthy of second place in the rating.
- the lowest dust transmission coefficient (only 5.8% of the total mass);
- the presence of three absorbent layers (antibacterial, carbon, anti-allergenic);
- quite good indicators of aerodynamic drag;
- high quality workmanship.
- high price.
The German-Bulgarian production of Knecht MAHLE presented the automotive community with a lot of very high-quality consumables, including cabin filters. In terms of technical indicators, they are almost identical to the Japanese DENSO, as you will see after the above test results, but the European footprint makes itself felt (in terms of more stringent quality standards).
The MAHLE filter has an average dust clearance of 8.1% with a filter curtain area of 0.248 square meters – full compliance with the Asian equivalent, down to the smallest operating parameters. The only difference is the aerodynamic drag in a polluted form – here it is equal to 97 millimeters of water column. Thus, we can conclude that this candidate at the stage of full resource development looks a little more convincing, and the price is very pleasing to buyers. A definite third place.
- the best combination of price and quality;
- a small percentage of the marriage are made parties;
- 8,1% of dust passing through;
- the optimal area of thin clearing.
- for their operating conditions – have been identified.
DENSO cabin filters can be called “first-tier products” – those that have overcome the mark of less than 10% of the dust pass (more precisely, 8.1%). They are more expensive than all their competitors in terms of rating, but they can handle their functions almost better than others. The average price tag of 1200 rubles is an extra proof of this. However, despite this, according to sales statistics, they are only slightly inferior to German brands (Bosch and Corteco).
The surface area of the filter curtain for a standard DENSO filter is 0.248 square meters – the second indicator after Corteco, multiplied by a much higher filtration quality. In terms of resistance, everything is also in order (90 millimeters of water column in polluted form), which causes free air penetration even at the end of the working life. According to the results of the review, we cannot put the Japanese brand in the first place, but we will give the fourth line with great pleasure.
- ideal air flow rates even in highly polluted environments;
- large filter surface area;
- 8,1% of dust passing through;
- optimal manufacturing quality;
- availability of absorbent carbon filters in the range.
- high price.
Bosch’s fifth place in the rating is due to the averaging of all key performance indicators and its popularity with consumers. However, behind the loud statements in the spirit of “100% cleaning up to the removal of microorganisms”, there is a marketing line: German manufacturers themselves realize that their products will not be able to cope with such indicators.
The standard filtration area of Bosch cabin filters is 0.244 square meters. This is a lot, but it is all the more interesting because the dust transmission coefficient turned out to be quite large and amounted to 11.1%, according to field tests. But certainly pleased with the performance of the aerodynamic drag filters before and after operation, equal to 30 and 66 millimeters of water column, respectively. The overall high level of the product is crowned by an acceptable price – an average of about 600 rubles in the current market.
- reasonable price;
- the best indicator of air resistance in case of contamination in the rating;
- extensive filtration area;
- prevalence in the Russian market.
- high dust transmission coefficient (11.1%).
Another German brand that produces consistently high-quality air filters. The average cost of Corteco products is comparable to that of Bosch, as is the balance of performance with a slight discrepancy. The brand in question makes a big bet on increasing the filtering area, which lures unintelligible users to its side. Logically, an overestimation of this parameter should directly affect the quality of cleaning…but the dependence does not work. 0.270 square meters of filter area passes up to 10.9% of dust on average, which is typical for middle-class people, but not for a full-fledged leader in the rating.
But the air flow resistance indicators of Corteco filters are almost perfect. In the clean and polluted States, this indicator is equal to 30 and 77 millimeters of mercury, respectively – against the background of competitors, the company is second only to the aforementioned Bosch. Yes, this brand does not present any miracles, but its balance allows it to remain among the well-deserved leaders of the segment.
- high quality of manufacture, low rejection rate (1% of the total number of products);
- good aerodynamic drag when clean and dirty;
- best purchase price;
- large filter area.
- not the most optimal dust protection parameters, even despite the large filtration area.
Cabin filter of Slovenian production, the working qualities of which fully correspond to the declared cost. You should not expect much from it, as well as hope that its resource will last for a year of use. As practice shows, it is better to replace it at the end of the 8th month, since the average market price of 400 rubles allows you to do this.
From the technical indicators of standard FRAM batch filters, we can distinguish 10.6% of the dust pass at 0.198 squares of the working curtain area. Not the best result in the rating, but it still surpasses many more popular rivals. But the air pressure during contamination rises from the nominal 34 to 100 millimeters of water column, slightly complicating the supply at late stages of operation. Filters look slightly worse than their German counterparts, and therefore the seventh place in the rating will be very useful.
- favorable price;
- balanced flow pressure on the element when it becomes dirty;
- high popularity in the budget segment.
- not good enough the dust;
- reduced recommended replacement intervals.
Fortech cabin filters have long established themselves as stable air conditioning elements, the resource of which is calculated for 1 year of confident operation. Today, the most popular options are coal models in various types of execution – domestic motorists increasingly prefer them to the original factory filters.
Due to the variety of the product range, it is very difficult to give an accurate description of the brand itself – approximately 80% of users are satisfied with the result, noting only a slight decrease in the strength of the air flow. According to official research reports, the curtains take on approximately 91-93% of the dust – the rest goes to the salon. The result against the background of competitors is not bad, if not for one ” but”. Being one of the most popular brands, Fortech has attracted the attention of forgery companies that actively supply the market with second-rate fakes.
- acceptable pricing policy;
- good quality of the original product;
- a large concentration of carbon filters in the range;
- the dust transmission coefficient varies from 7 to 9%;
- extended inter-shift intervals.
- the presence of fakes on the market in large numbers, which significantly harms the brand image.
Filtron is a Polish manufacturer of filter elements for fuel supply and air conditioning systems, whose products are known as one of the most budget-friendly. The range of filters includes many variations of anti – dust and carbon models-with additional jumpers, stiffeners, increased blind areas, segment filters, etc.
A standard test sample from Filtron with an average cost of 210 rubles showed very unexpected test results: 9.8% of the dust pass and 117 millimeters of water pressure column in a contaminated form. However, the intervals between shifts sometimes do not exceed 6-7 months, which, in the end, eliminates the benefits and elevates them to the category of conventional models.
- wide range of cheap filter elements;
- acceptable operating parameters over the entire service life.
- mediocre air purification with a number of budget filters (9.8% of suspended particles pass on average);
- the need for more frequent substitutions.
AMD is positioned as a company that produces the cheapest products, for which it is very much disliked by competitors and adored by users. The average price for their cabin filters is 200 rubles, which is three times cheaper than that of Corteco. However, there is nothing to be surprised about, especially if you look at the indicators in real operation.
The area of the filter surface of the reference sample from AMD is 0.166 square meters, while the dust passage is characterized by a coefficient of 17.8%. For comparison, in Mann and RAF, this figure is only 5.9% – as they say, comments are superfluous. But not everything is as bad as it seems at first glance: the aerodynamic drag of the new AMD filters does not exceed 31 millimeters of mercury. Yes, due to all the circumstances, it is not possible to assign a high place to the company, but largely due to the low price, it still gets into our rating.